Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Objects, and Research, and Deadlines.....Oh, my!

Creating a temporary exhibit at the Spurlock Museum can take two years, so those of us who serve as exhibit coordinators are often working on multiple exhibits simultaneously....along with all our other duties. Currently, I am finishing up the final text on an exhibit of incredible Japanese woodcarvings that opens next month; doing research on shoes around the world for a fall, 2012, exhibit; and working with the Champaign-Urbana Spinners and Weavers Guild on a fall, 2013 exhibit that will feature items the Guild members will be creating that were inspired by artifacts in our Museum collections. All of these are fascinating in their own way.

For me, the best time of all is the early research phase, when I learn so many new things about the culture(s) and artifact(s) we will be displaying. Right now, I am reading and reading on shoes, finding out the most fascinating things. I will leave you with the following bit of shoe information: The average American woman owns at least 30 pairs of shoes. So put on your shoes and come visit sometime soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment